To some, black signals a “creative,” a woman who is scared to use a little color in her wardrobe or a gothic-type. There may be a little truth in each one of those stereotypes, but, in reality, black (and white) accents can make a mama feel a little cooler and ever-so-edgy. Even if you feel that you’re not hip enough, give it a try, starting with a little glimmer of black on your wrist or fingers – it’s contagious! Next thing you know, you’ll be dripping in black ice.
1. David Yurman isn’t scared of a little darkness in the midst of his precious metals. These rings signal pure elegance.
David Yurman onyx/diamond rings, prices vary. Saks Fifth Avenue. Dallas, 972/458-7000; Plano, 469/443-3450.
2. What’s not to love about the basic black timepiece from the all-time favorite brand, TAG Heuer. If you’re feeling a little sporty, try this blacked-out watch on for size.
TAG Heuer watch, price upon request.
The Galleria, 972/392-9900; The Plaza at Preston Center, 214/692-8400; Shops at Legacy, 972/596-2090.
3. Everyone knows that Kate Spade can make bags, but now she’s trying her hand at jewelry, too. Exhibit your playful side with her sparkling disco-ball like charm bracelet.
Kate Spade ‘Lady Marmalade’ charm bracelet, $225.
Kate Spade at The Galleria, 972/239-5805; NorthPark Center, 214/368-0003.
4. A fast favorite among the stylish set, Alexis Bittar knows how to create modern glamour with her line of jewelry. This cocktail ring is no exception, and it won’t break the bank.
Alexis Bittar cocktail ring, $195.
Neiman Marcus downtown, 214/741-6911; NorthPark Center, 214/363-8311; The Shops at Willowbend, 972/629-1700.
5. For the (chic) motorcycle-mama in each of us, CC Skye’s black leather buckle bracelet will take that casual Friday night outfit up a notch. Wear with caution – let this be the accent piece, and go light on your other jewels.
CC Skye leather buckle bracelet, $155.