Going green is all the rage these days – but you don’t have to be an adult to have a positive influence on the environment. With the new school year just around the corner, parents can teach their children how to “green their routine” and send their kids back to school in earth-friendly style. Here are five tips just for kids:
1. Choose the write way to go green. Send your child back to school with eco-friendly school supplies. Made from recycled content, yet offering the same comfort and style of traditional pens and paper, school supplies like Pilot Pen’s new line of BeGreeN writing instruments let children enjoy the same products with a reduced carbon footprint.
2. Board the bus. Start your day off eco-friendly by having your child take the bus to school. Not only will you save on gas, using public transportation cuts down on carbon emissions.
3. Don’t let the water run … until your brushing is done! Encourage your kids to turn off the water while brushing their teeth. This simple move could help save at least two gallons per brushing per child and as much as 1.5 billion gallons of water across the country each day.
4. Pack a green lunch. Use waste-free materials like cloth napkins, old silverware, a plastic lunchbox, and a reusable drink container. This will cut down on the amount of waste that results from plastic utensils, paper products, etc.
5. Green your entertainment. Cut down the plastic packaging by having your kids buy music online instead of CDs and renting movies instead of purchasing them. Don’t contribute to the plastic build up – more than 100,000 CDs and DVDs are thrown away each month.
These are just a few, simple ways to encourage school kids to Go Green in the coming school year. Even little kids can make a big difference.