02:00 PM until 03:00 PM
LocationFort Worth Botanic Garden View map
3220 Botanic Garden Blvd.,
Fort Worth, TX, 76107
- Website: https://brit.org/calendar-events/main-event-calendar/
Free with general garden admission
Fort Worth Opera present the company's critically acclaimed children's opera, Frida Kahlo and the Bravest Girl in the World on Saturday, October 9 and Sunday, October 10. Sung in English. Held at the Horseshoe (weather permitting, back up will be the Lecture Hall)
About Frida Kahlo and the Bravest Girl in the World
Based upon the highly-acclaimed book by award-winning English author and illustrator Laurence Anholt, this charming new work follows the real-life story of Marianna Morillo Safa and her friendship with famed painter Frida Kahlo. Marianna, a young girl living in the heart of Mexico City, whose home is full of beautiful artwork by Frida Kahlo. She is encouraged by her family to visit Kahlo and have her portrait painted the renowned artist, but is terrified at the thought.
There are rumors that Frida keeps skeletons above her bed and exotic pets in her Blue House -- people have even said that she is a witch. As Kahlo begins to paint Marianna in her studio, this fear quickly disappears, and a friendship blooms between the two. Marianna meets Frida’s husband, Diego Rivera, and learns of the horrible accident that almost killed her new friend. Through the magic of opera, Frida’s parrot, dog, and monkey all sing, and the audience is invited to join in on the fun as well.
Fridamania: Casa Azul Party
Saturday, October 9, 12:30–5pm
Guests will help the Fort Worth Botanic Garden and the Fort Worth Hispanic community set a record for the largest gathering of people dressed as Frida Kahlo in one place in a party atmosphere.
- Frida Fest and Artistic Performers Day
- Afternoon Children/Family activities
- 12:30–3pm in Rose Garden turnaround
- Children will have a daytime opportunity to strut their colorful clothing and compete for the best costume of their favorite Frida or Hispanic hero.
- Kid-friendly snacks, cotton candy, snow cones, etc. will be sold by the Rock Springs Café.
- An array of photo ops will be available for your perfect Fall pictures and a caterpillar tunnel will be on hand to explore
- Adult class: Floral Combs/Jewelry
- Located in the Conservation Greenhouse porch from 1–3pm (park in Lot D for close proximity)
- Taught by Fort Worth Garden Club volunteers
- Mariachi band performances in the Fuller Garden Gazebo
- Adult class: Floral Adornment
- Craft: Hairpiece and earrings
- Ballet Margo Dean performance at 3:30pm
Adult Frida Fest
Saturday, October 9 from 7:30–11pm
Come out to the Leonard Courtyard to celebrate fall, Frida Kahlo, and Hispanic Heritage in a party atmosphere with the Fort Worth Botanic Garden. Dress like Frida Kahlo, the renowned Mexican Artist, and help us set a record for the largest gathering of Frida look alikes, in one place. There will be live music, bars with beer, tequila and vodka vendors a well as delicious Hispanic bites to sooth your soul. Enjoy performances of Ballet Margot Dean (7:30pm) and more.