DFWChild / Articles / MomLife / Mom Blogs / A Monday in the life of Jennifer Hall

A Monday in the life of Jennifer Hall

Jennifer lives in Lewisville with her husband Brad, a short sales negotiator for a law firm, and her three kids, Destinee, 16, Madison, 11, and Asher, 18 months. She works in IT and splits her time commuting to her office in Richardson and working from home, while simultaneously caring for her toddler. So things can get a little crazy.  

6:35AM My alarm goes off. I hit snooze and lay there thinking how pointless it is that I’m still laying there when I know I’m not going to fall back to sleep and I’m just wasting minutes and I’ll end up rushing around to get out the door on time. I get up somewhere between 6:40 and 6:45 and put on slippers and a comfy robe. I start making a strawberry banana smoothie for Destinee while cooking eggs for Madison. I mix up my pre-workout energy mix and water to give me a boost and get me going and make Madison’s lunch. Asher wakes up. I rush to get his cup of milk and bring him to my husband before heading out the door.

7AM I am in the car dropping Madison off at the bus stop and then dropping Destinee off at high school.

7:30AM I am back at home. I quickly make my husband and Asher a quick breakfast. For Brad, it’s scrambled eggs and turkey sausage. For Asher, it’s his favorite: mini pancakes with just a little butter (syrup is too messy). I whip it all together and then start getting ready for work.

7:45AM I kiss my husband goodbye and jump in the shower.

8:45AM I am in the car again heading to my mom’s house to drop Asher off before heading to work. Thankfully, my mom lives only 10 minutes away and is able to watch him on Mondays and Wednesdays, when I make the commute to work.

9:30AM I finally make it into the office. I log on and start my day. Today, that means meetings with my team to coordinate IT releases that are being implemented in our department.

12PM I head downstairs to our cafeteria, grab lunch and bring it back to my desk to continue working.

3:30PM I leave work to pick up Destinee from school then to my mom’s to pick up Asher. The bus drops Madison off at 3:15.

4:30PM We are back at home. I kick off my heels, get my laptop up and running and log back in to finish work while I also start dinner. As I grill chicken breasts and vegetables in my cast iron skillet, I constantly run back to check my computer to see if anyone from work has pinged me. Needless to say, the scene is pretty chaotic. 

5:30PM Dinner is served. My kids and I sit down around the dining room table. I check with Madison to make sure that she’s done her homework. As I sit, I realize I am exhausted! But I know that I won’t get to relax for a few more hours. 

5:45PM My husband is home now, and we all check in with each other, asking about each of our days. We are in the process of renovating our home, which we bought in August of last year. We made some pretty serious changes so far. We replaced the plastic flooring with real wood, and redid the tiles in the kitchen and bathrooms. Right now, my husband changes into his sweatpants to add some wainscoting and trim.

6:30PM I check work emails, making sure there’s nothing that can’t wait until tomorrow, then I log off.

6:45PM I turn on One Direction, my daughters’ favorite band (I like them too), and the four of us dance around the house while completing our chores — my daughters do the dishes and I pick up around the house while Asher plays.

8PM The girls take showers while I give Asher a bath. Then I give him one more cup of milk, I brush his teeth and put him to bed.

8:30PM Time to relax! I head to the living room couch and catch up on my recorded shows. My favorites are Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce and The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Sometimes when I’m feeling stale in the recipe department, I’ll watch The Pioneer Woman. After a show, I settle in to read a little.

9:30PM Time for the girls to go to bed. I make sure they brushed their teeth, we say a family prayer, give kisses and hugs, then I see them off to bed. I jump in the shower and get ready for bed.

9:45PM It’s snuggle time with my husband while watching The O’Reilly Factor (his favorite show). I check work emails on my phone to get a head start on the next day.

10:30PM We turn off the TV. I kiss my husband goodnight and set my alarm for the next morning. Next, I say a prayer and try to sleep. I’m never able to fall asleep easily because I always have so many things running through my mind. Tonight, I replay a discussion that Madison and I had about her bedtime. I know that sleep is important and I want her to get a good night’s rest, but now I worry that I may have been a bit harsh with her. Should I have said something different or spoken in a different tone? I always end up reflecting on my day and critiquing how I parented. Sometimes I think that maybe I care too much, but at the end of the day, that’s what being a mom is all about.