Memorial Day is coming up and we all know that it’s more than just another 3-day weekend. Memorial Day is chance to reflect and thank those who gave their lives in service to our country. So what are some ways to do that with the kids on top of the usual backyard barbecue? We came up with 12 ways to commemorate the holiday. Check it out.
1.Read a book about the holiday together.
2. Visit a local veteran’s cemetery. (But be sure to follow appropriate social distancing guidelines.)
3. Since sidewalk chalk is all the rage right now, create a patriotic chalk art display.
4. Make an America-themed dessert. If you’re in need of inspiration, check out our 4 Tasty Memorial Day Dishes, which includes red, white and blue fruit popsicles.
5. Teach your kids how to the fly the flag and proper Memorial Day flag etiquette—half-staff from sunrise to noon for those who died in wars, and then full-staff for the rest of the day to honor living veterans and those still fighting for our country
6. Create a care package with letters, crafts and/or notes for a veteran or active military member.
7. Decorate your house with patriotic decor.
9. Take treats, books or homemade cards to your local veteran’s hospital. (Be sure to check the hospital guidelines for donations.)
10. Get creative with printable Memorial Day coloring pages.
12. Donate flowers to be arranged at Arlington National Cemetery.
12. Watch the National Memorial Day Concert on May 24, at 7pm on PBS.
How are you celebrating Memorial Day with your family? Tell us at email@example.com.
Image courtesy of iStock.